Sunday, September 29, 2013

Ogden, Utah former Union Station

trackside view

two more trackside views

Constructed of brick in 1889, this building served until 1923. It was designed in the Romanesque style, with a large clock tower in the center. This building also contained 33 hotel rooms as well as a restaurant, barbershop, and other conveniences for the traveler.

In 1923, a hotel room in the depot caught fire which quickly spread throughout the building. The blaze was unable to be controlled and the interior was destroyed, leaving the walls and clock tower standing in a fragile state.

The replacement present-day building was completed in the Spanish Colonial Revival style in 1924. It was last used by Amtrak in 1997 and now houses museums, including the Union Pacific-supported Utah State Railroad museum and the Browning – Kimball Classic Car Museum

The adjacent Ogden Intermodal Transit Center currently serves the Utah Transit Authority's FrontRunner commuter rail line.


No comments: